Move over fairy lights. It’s all about hanging up a string of old-school clear globe lights, if you’re decorating your table for an evening party. It’s a simple idea to add an easy yet visually effective touch to your dinner table.
I’ve found where to find the best globe string lights (also known as “festoon lighting” in Australia), and rounded up the most inspirational tables to show you how to dine under your very own starry night – outdoors or in.
Top photo by A Daily Something.
Photo by Jose Villa via Flowerwild Designs.
- Recreate this magical woodland table setting with single globes hung at different heights above a rustic timber table. Load the table with plants and foliage for a living forest effect.
Photo by A Daily Something.
- Position your table under a tree so that the string globe lights can be hung from the branches. Keep your table simple and classy with white linen and tablewear, with a few candles to add to the ambient glow.
Photo by Studio Impressions, via Style Me Pretty.
- Hang globe lights together for an awesome tablescape. At this wedding receptions, G40 globe lights are also wired onto the table top itself.
Photo by Olivia Rae James.
- An outdoor dinner party for Kinfolk in Charleston is enhanced by two rows of G40 globe string lights. Keep your guests warm with blankets on the backs of their chairs, also add some vases of bright blooms for a pop of colour on your table.
Photo by renatastone/Instagram.
- OK, so this outdoor soiree is all about that incredible graphic wall, but a few rows of S14 string lights make it turn into the perfect setting for a party.
Photo by @renatastone/Instagram.
- Transform your trailer into a party location by hanging rows of string lights attached to poles. Load it up with picnic table and add a couple of candles for a dinner party.
Photography by Paige Jones, via 100 Layer Cake.
- Got nowhere to hang your lights above your outdoor table setting? Take inspiration from this party, and insert stakes in the ground at either end of the table. Add a brightly & coloured bunch of flowers and a couple of candles for a festive touch.
Photo by Brooke Adams for The Lane.
- In this light and airy table setting by The Lane, cut crystal glassware, copper candlesticks and branches of magnolia combine with a single row of string lights. Raw and pretty.
Photo by The White Tree.
- Create a little party zone in your garden by stringing a few rows of string lights above your outdoor setting. String lights can be bought from Zitrades.
Photo by The White Tree/Instagram.
- One long table along a winding bush track with rows of G40 patio lights strung across the table from trees. Take inspiration for a scaled-down long table in your own backyard for your next big party/celebration.
Photo by The Fresh Exchange.
- Low tables (or a couple of pallets) make a relaxed outdoor setting for a dinner table. Candlelight, blankets, flowers in milk jugs, and G40 globe lights strung around four posts creates an intimate setting..